Skip to content Skip to footer

Top tips for saving money on energy in rural areas

It can be more expensive to pay for energy in rural areas, especially if you don’t have mains gas. Here are some ways you can save money.

Shop around to reduce your energy bills
You can often reduce your energy bills by switching tariff, payment method or supplier. It is still worth doing this even if you do not have mains gas. Take control and visit or call our consumer helpline on 0345 04 05 06.

If you use electricity to heat your home with storage heaters and hot water, it is usually cheaper to pay for your electricity with a time-of-use tariff such as Economy 7. Make sure you understand how to use the heating controls on your storage heater to get good value for the electricity you use and adequate warmth when you need it.

Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG)
If you use LPG for heating, hot water or cooking, you can shop around for a better deal 2 years after your current supplier installed your LPG tank, or sometimes even sooner. Check your supply contract to see what your minimum period with your current supplier is – it can’t be longer than 2 years.

Solid fuel
If you use coal or wood to heat your home, it is usually cheaper to buy in bulk than in smaller bags.

Heating oil
If you use heating oil you can save money by:

  • filling your tank before winter when oil is generally cheaper
  • asking several oil suppliers for quotes to get the best price
  • joining an oil club if you have one in your area. Find out more at: (England only)

If you have problems paying up-front for your LPG, heating oil or solid fuel, some suppliers will allow you to make payments in several instalments.

Improve the energy efficiency standards of your home
You can save money on your fuel bills and keep your home warmer by installing (or topping up) loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, solid wall insulation or an efficient boiler or storage heater.

You may get help for this if you are in receipt of certain benefits through the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme.  There are also local schemes in some parts of the country. Contact your council to find out if there is one in your area. You can find more information at:
(England and Wales)