Skip to content Skip to footer

Posts by: Elizabeth Miller

Government cuts household incomes for many pensioners from May 2019

On 15th January this year Government announced a change in the law which will see the right to Pension Credit and Housing Benefit withdrawn from future claimants with a partner who hasn’t yet reached their own pensionable age. Age UK and Citizens Advice are deeply concerned about the changes. AgeUK have started actively campaigning at […]

New opening hours 4th March 2019

From Monday 4th March drop in sessions will run from 10:00 -12:30. We will open again at 13:30 for pre-booked appointments only. We are making these changes because of feedback you’ve given, telling us you would like better access to our phone service and timed appointments. Go to for our current opening times and locations, […]

Combating financial abuse (video with subtitles)

Find out about financial abuse and how to prevent it by watching the video below. This is a short animation created for Citizens Advice Telford & Wrekin and Citizens Advice Shropshire, funded by members of the Insurance Institute for Shropshire & Mid-Wales; and developed in collaboration between Matrix Capital and the Telford & Wrekin Safeguarding […]

Top tips for saving money on energy in rural areas

It can be more expensive to pay for energy in rural areas, especially if you don’t have mains gas. Here are some ways you can save money. Shop around to reduce your energy bills You can often reduce your energy bills by switching tariff, payment method or supplier. It is still worth doing this even […]

Want to volunteer with us?

In 2019 we will have opportunities available for a variety of volunteer roles at our Ludlow, Oswestry and Shrewsbury offices. We will be holding an Information and Recruitment session at our Shrewsbury office on 13th February from 10.00 until 2.30pm. This session are an opportunity to learn more about the Citizens Advice Service in Shropshire, […]

A chance to make things fairer for some Universal Credit claimants in Shropshire

We’ve been calling on Shropshire Council to introduce consistency for Income Based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) claimants and Universal Credit claimants in their Council Tax Support Scheme exemptions. This will ensure that the most vulnerable people who are sick or disabled are protected from paying, regardless of which benefit (ESA vs Universal Credit) they […]

Thank you to our trustees

This Trustees Week we want to thank our brilliant trustees who oversee, direct and guide our work in Shropshire.  We’re looking for new trustees to guide and direct our charity. Find out more here.

What are hate crimes and hate incidents?

Hate incidents A hate incident is any incident which the victim, or anyone else, thinks is based on someone’s prejudice towards them because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or because they are transgender. Not all hate incidents will amount to criminal offences, but those that do become hate crimes. Hate crimes A hate […]

Free information & advice in Gobowen, Weston Rhyn, & St Martins

The October – December 2018 ‘My Money Matters’ timetable is now available. Free information & advice for those who live or work in the 3 Parishes area (Weston Rhyn, Gobowen & St Martins). More information available at

Struggling to pay 20% towards your Council Tax?

Shropshire’s Council Tax Support Scheme changed in April 2018 and the majority of working–age people who previously received 100% Council Tax Support can now only claim a maximum of 80%. This means people need to pay the remaining 20% out of their benefit income, a cost of around £15 – £35 a month. We understand […]